From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:45:14 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

I am  watching some hives wintering on a scale, and the feed consumption
does seem  to actually diminish as temperature drops, although reason would
suggest that  there must be a point at which the temperature has dropped
sufficiently that  greater fuel consumption becomes necessary to maintain the
minimum  temperatures required for survival.

That said, I usually don't wrap  until just before Christmas since I feel
that the hives, being broodless,

In S UK the bees are rarely broodless which means they sometimes suffer
from isolation starvation when they have eaten all within reach and won't
break  cluster to move the couple of inches to where stores are ample. And, of
course,  they need more food to maintain brood-nest temperature.

Chris