From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:46:35 -0500
??> They have been looking at dna rather than spore counts, and found at
least a few examples of colonies with low spore counts, but large amounts of
nosema c. dna (he suggested that it is possible that nosema c. _might_ have
an alternative life cycle that does not necessarily spore), and that some of
the strongest hives had the most noseam c. dna present without apparent
symptoms (and thus far have not collapsed...they are keeping an eye on
them).

I suspected the above several years ago as *spore counts* did not always
correlate with nosema ceranae problems. Had to be an issue we had yet to
understand going on.

To sum up *in my opinion* the only sure sign of nosema ceranae causing
problems is seeing some of the bees going off feed . Yesterday as my help
was pumping feed to hives I went in front checking feeders. marking hives
with dead bees in the feeder and strong colonies which had not taken their
feed from the last feeding.

Those slowing down taking syrup *in my opinion* are a stage away from the
*dying in feeder* stage.

Luckily now I see only maybe one hive in twenty with issues.

Hives slowing down can usually be turned around with feeding fumigillin.
Those dying in feeders need drenched.

I learned of huge losses of bees from an upper Midwest beekeeper in
California which said he never had fed fumigilin.

I spoke with a beekeeper in Texas which lost two loads when sprayed with a
fungicide while in almonds. I asked if he contacted the U.S.D.A. and he just
laughed. He said you mean the United States Documentation Agency? He said he
was going after the almond grower.

The almond grower claims the bees must have left the almonds and got into a
spray away from his almond groves.

The beekeeper said he needed the equipment for splits and he had bees back
in the boxes in Texas in a couple weeks.  Look great now.

Commercial migratory beekeeping is a fast pace world in spring. The USDA
moves at a snails pace.

Bob H.