From:
Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 07:33:07 +0000
At 07:51 PM 11/5/96 +0000, you wrote:
>  REGARDING           RE>processing propolis
>

>I don't know if Beehive Botanicals will actually buy "dirty" propolis, but
>they do advertise that they'll buy hive scrapings.  However, I'm sure that the
>best prices would be paid for clean propolis, and I would like to add a word
>of support to the use of propolis "traps".  These can be bought at many
>American bee supply houses (Betterbee, Inc., for one), and they work great.
>However, if left in place for the summer, they often sag onto the top bars of
>the highest super and in a good honey flow get burr comb attached to them.  So
>in some cases there is a bit of beeswax with the propolis.  But the propolis
>is first rate, and when frozen, very easy to harvest from the plastic screens
>in the manner reported above.

***
For what purposes do you use your propolis?
***

>Do you have an address for this company?  I thought that hive scrapings were
>unacceptable for propolis sale.  I wonder what method they use to separate
>the propolis.  I have been keeping my cover scrapings and any big lumps of
>pure propolis separate as I find it a wonderful cure for sore throat.  The
>beekeeper from Surinam who visited me used propolis mats under his covers
>and sold propolis to a Dutch pharmaceutical company for $15 a pound.  Their
>beekeeper's coop also makes a tincture of propolis (15%) that they market
>locally.
>Regards, Stan in Prince Edward Island

****
How do you use your propolis for sore throats?  What recipe do you use for
the tincture and for what purposes would people buy the tincture (and how
would they use it)?  Are there some good sources to understand the various
uses and preparations of propolis?
***

Rick Grossman
Oregon, USA