From:
Metro Propolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 19:50:57 -0700
> Could a smart 3D-printed hive save the bees?

Same thing we discussed here before Christmas.... Except that in this iteration the reporter has misidentified CC-machining as 3-D printing.

This is not plastic-extrusion, just cutting with a computer controlled router.

a)
 They've not really made anything new in terms of hives, just found a
very clever way to manufacture them - which is pretty neat, but I gather
 the equipment is pretty specialized (CNC).

b)  The sensors don't
 really gather much in the way of useful information....and are obviously
re-inventing a wheel already well
invented by others.      But I guess no stone is left uncovered to ensure that Arduinos (Tiny hobbyist computers) are applied to any and all mundane tasks.

A local huckster has just become the local branch of this project.   It's unclear what they plan to monitor, but I'd be interested to find out more before the press releases start flying through the air.

Does anyone know the specifics of what the Open Sores Bee hive project is monitoring?

What is typically monitored by these types of devices?

What readings are of the greatest use?

My spider sense tells me that a single temperature reading from inside the hive is of limited use.

Are there existing monitoring solutions available to hobbyists?