Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 13:16:02 -0400
The following is a message from BIRDCHAT that may be of interest here.
Respond to BEE-L, to me personally, or to the original sender (Rocky
Rothrock--I am forwarding this with his permission).

------------------------
John Batson                               ---------------
Psychology--Furman Univ.                  BATSON@FRMNVAX1
Greenville, SC  29613                     ---------------
------------------------

Subj:   Honey bees on bird feeder

Twice this winter I've noticed honey bees on my bird feeder.  No, this
is not a hummingbird feeder!  Both days were quite warm for NJ at this
time of year (low 60's the first time, mid 50's today).  Seed is one
scoop from a bag of mixed seeds, and one scoop from a bag of sunflower
seeds.  Each time there were 50-100 honey bees spread out over the
feeding table.  Anyone have similar experience, or idea what is attracting
the bees?  Both times the seeds were fresh and dry, so I don't suspect
any kind of fermentation.  Besides, aren't these critters supposed to be
dormant in the winter?  (Obviously they at least come out to play on
warm days!)

Incidentally, some of the birds ignored the bees.  However, more than
the usual number chose to eat on the ground.

Rocky Rothrock        Internet address:  [log in to unmask]
6 Ironhill Drive      Work telephone:  (908) 758-2136
Holmdel, NJ 07733     Home telephone:  (908) 264-9119