Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:42:09 GMT
>>Is there a concise definition of "regressed bees"?

Sorry, Allen.  I guess I am guilty again of using terms that show up on Bee-L but are not in frequent use here or elsewhere.  Mea culpa. :)

>>if such a definition involves forcing bees to build on small cell
foundation

This is my understanding of the term as it's been used here.

>>how can TBH bees be "regressed" or "regressed"?

As I understand it, Dennis experimented with 4.9 mm foundation prior to building his TBHs.  The question was whether he placed bees from his 4.9 mm hives in TBHs.  I believe not.  Dennis - if you are reading this - please help me out! :)

>>Or is "regressed" a permanent state?  Huh?

Evidently not in managed colonies since bees can be forced onto smaller or larger foundation.  It's a little bit of an open question as what happens in nature.  Dennis' observations indicate a cell size gradation in naturally drawn comb.  There is no 'one size fits all.'  It makes sense to me since I have seen it in feral nests.

We dispute/talk about the mean cell sizes, ranges of cell sizes etc. though. :)

>>When measuing comb, we must remember that comb that is old tends to shrink, especially if dried out or exposed to heat.

The comb I have was covered by bees as recently as 3 days ago and I've kept it my garage at about 50-60 F.  To rule out this factor, I can pull out of the hive the feral comb with brood that's still covered with bees.

>>The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it.  -- P. B. Medawar

I think this is too simplistic. ;o)  Not every human mind and not every body... ;-)

Waldemar