From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:41:49 -0500
I don't know. But when I passed Hack's loss percentages by a friend of mine
who does a lot of work with Davey Jr., here in the North Country in NY, he
had heard that they, Hackenberg's, were down to 300 hives. Which is what I
had also heard about his nephew, Jim Doan. That Jim is down to about 300.
Jim had tried to buy some hives from a guy from OH or IN financing them on
what he was going to make on them on almonds after splitting them in FL.
But that deal fell through and someone else is buying them. Bill Crawford,
I believe.

Hack and Doan spend an awful lot of time managing the system instead of
their hives. I guess that's what keeps them going. I don't know whether to
admire them or look on them critically. So mostly I keep my mouth shut
about what I think I know. And I certainly don't think that someone, Jim
Doan, who can't keep his hives alive should be sitting on advisory
committees. But that's another subject.

MarkB