Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 10:55:07 -0400
Thanks, Pete, for the excellent inputs.

> In 1961 Bill Wilson developed the antibiotic patty method for applying
> chemical treatments to bee colonies. The patty consisted of heated honey,
> powdered sugar plus an antibiotic.

That is interesting.  The eventual form was grease, sugar and a measured
dose of OTC, and I think that came out in the seventies.  Mann Lake
increased the dose as I recall and make it a commercial product which is
still available:

--- from
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=443&idCategory= ---

TERRA-PATTIES 45 LB PAIL:

WHY SHOULD YOU USE TERRA PATTIES®?

The most effective way to control foulbrood.
Assures proper dosage of Terramycin™.
Prevents sub-lethal dose of Terramycin™.
Prevents rapid degradation of Terramycin™ over other types of application,
i.e. dustings or in syrup.
Made with proper Terramycin™ registered for bees.
Research has shown that Terramycin™ in TERRA-PATTIES® stays at full strength
for up to 6 months.
Patties should be applied as early as possible before a pollen or nectar
flow. Best consumption attained when an alternate feed source is not
present. Remove 14 days prior to honey flow.
TERRA-PATTIES® can be applied in fall foroverwintered colonies or early
spring.
FREE SCOOP WITH PURCHASE OF 5 OR MORE 45 LB PAILS. ONE FREE SCOOP PER ORDER.

> After nearly 45 years of excellent foulbrood control, a few cases of AFB
> that did not respond to Terramycin were reported in the US in 1996. In
> 1997, several honey bee colonies in Wisconsin were given heavy dustings of
> Terramycin and powdered sugar multiple times with no obvious reduction in
> the amount of AFB- diseased brood. The first reported cases were
> apparently in small bee operations in the northern Mid-Western states that
> were buying nucs in the spring and exchanging brood combs.

I had forgotten about the Mid-Western examples, but we discussed them here
on BEE-L at that time or not long thereafter.  At the time, the Florida
cases were becoming apparent and were located suspiciously close to stacks
of unwashed open emptied Argentine honey drums and we discussed the
possibility that spores were travelling around the world in consumer honey
(which is often thrown out into landfills).  Technology subsequently proved
this wrong, or at least not an obvious factor in the observed cases of
resistance.

Again, thanks for the insights.