From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:29:16 -0600
> Bob was wise not to give formulas, as one really needs to be careful.
> There
> is a small margin of safety, and many have hurt their bees.

I felt you guys would give better information *but* perhaps provided more
information than the average beekeeper was asking.

Successful treatment depends on several things as pointed out. We also know
what many consider is the correct strength ( Canada formula)

What we do not know is what type of drop will a lighter dose provide? Some
formulas spoke of are almost twice the Canada dose. Some are about half the
Canada dose. In my opinion it is better to error on the light side.

I keep no *dinks* this time of year but many will say not to hit a small
hive with OA as can cause winterkill. I do not know and simply passing on
what northern beeks have told me.

All OA is to me is a treatment to supplement my fall treatment. To Dr.
Marion Ellis perhaps a method to control varroa by itself.

I agree with Waldig that timing is very important. When a hive is broodless
the number of dead varroa is impressive! I have never killed a hive or
knocked the hive back with an OA treatment of a broodless hive.

Most kills & PROBLEMS I have heard of came from beeks which were trying to
use in summer on a hive with brood or early fall in a hive with brood.
.
When OA became popular years ago many beeks said OA could be used at any
time of the year. ( in archives)

Consider if you killed all the eggs & young larva ( during the OA treatment)
you would see a visible drop in population in a few weeks. A couple thousand
eggs a day times 10 days is approx. 20,000 emerging bees. I think we now
know that a strong OA solution will kill eggs and tender larva but I doubt
adult bees in my opinion.

The result could be compared to the bees replacing a queen.

bob