From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 21:44:51 -0800
Some monarch butterfly breeders use an Oxine (chlorine dioxide)
solution http://www.atozvetsupply.com/OXINE-p/40-oxine.htm for
disinfection/sanitization of caterpillar rearing cages, surfaces, etc.,
and to kill protozoan spores on monarch butterfly eggs
without killing the eggs.

Dr. Chip Taylor's lab at the University of Kansas in Lawrence breeds
monarchs and one lab employee recommended: "Mix a 500 parts
per million Oxine solution for use on non-living surfaces (you can
also use a 100ppm solution on living surfaces (leaves, eggs, larvae,
etc.). The oxine will include citric acid crystals for activation and
complete mixing instructions - if you have questions just let me
know. I recommend mixing up small batches (probably a spray
bottle of each concentration at a time for your use) because the
solution will loose its effectiveness over time."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.