From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:38:35 -0400
> This was the first year I fed pollen supplement in the fall, hoping to
> increase the number of winter bees. I had really poor wintering results.

I've done it in Alberta and seen no difference in wintering success one way
or the other.

Brood rearing went on a month longer, but the end results were about the
same in spring.  I worried about the extended varroa rearing that may
possibly have resulted, though.

When speaking of feeding, all supplements and pollens are not the same, so
it is necessary to specify exactly what is being fed and how fresh it is.
Stale feed can be harmful.

As for breaks in brood rearing, it varies with the hive and queen history
and strain of bees, but as I recall, in Alberta, we see brood shut right off
in some hives in late September or October.  Others keep some small patch
all winter.  Brood rearing increases with day length and humidity and gets
going in earnest in March -- at least in my area and my management.