Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Randy

"I've tried using Nasonov pheromone to lure bees to waterers.  I've also
tried using DEET to repel them from water sources.  To date, such efforts
have been largely unsuccessful."

I remember conversations with Dan Mayer, who when he wasn't testing pesticides, tried various attractants and repellents with varying results.  We've spent years looking at bee responses to various chemicals - since we used bees as 'canaries' to detect chemicals, and we condition (train) bees to search  for chemicals, devices, labs, dead bodies based on scent.

DARPA funded a major semiochemical study (designer attractants).  What is clear with respect to chemicals like Nasonov - the scent's effect depends on context - bees are apparently not hard-wired genetically to be automatically attracted to Nasonov.  

Bees returning to hive, especially if a storm is rolling in, obviously use Nasonov.  Swarms  appear to be attracted.  

But Nasanov on a flower or with water - some times yes, some times no.  

The company working on semiochemicals for DARPA demonstrated really high rates of attraction, but they insisted on the same pre-conditioning approach that I would have used.  They first conditioned the colony to Nasanov by combining the scent with a reward (e.g, rich syrup).  Then the semiochemical became highly attractive.  Dont condition the bees to the scent, and it failed to be attractive.

I've had problems with bees at a pond with a fountain in it.  This was in a public place, and I had an experiment ongoing, so I did not want to move the bees, but from a public nuisance and safety stand-point, I had to reduce the numbers of bees using the fountain.   I couldn't reduce it to zero, but I could reduce it to below levels readily noticed by the public.

It took a three step process  (since I couldn't move the bees) - each day, I added some Fischer's Bee Quick to the margins of the pond where the bees were landing to obtain water (repellent), then I placed a small stock tank of water with floats near the bees, in line with the flight path to the fountain, and I used Janet's findings to make the water more attractive (salt) plus I added my magic attractant -anise, so that the water had a floral scent that we find to be highly attractive to bees.

All in all, the bigger issue - make sure that in the spring, the first bee-friendly, easy to access, water source is one you provide BEFORE any of the neighbor's sources become available.   

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2