From:
Lee Burough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:04:07 -0500
Long time reader here, but this is my first post.  :)

I'm a retired Audiologist with 25 years experience, much of that time the US Air Force considered me one of their experts in Hearing Conservation.  I thought I'd toss a couple things into this loudness and frequency discussion just to keep it real.

Most of us can shout loud enough to register just over 80db on a sound pressure level meter.  90db would easily be tolerated within ten feet.  It is when you have that 90db sound constantly on for long periods over a working lifetime it impacts your hearing.  Most people would report tickling and some report pain above about 120db (what you would hear at the end of a jet engine afterburner at a distance of three feet).

Now, the frequency band of a given sound would bear on these numbers.  Do you remember hearing your (CRT) TV as a young child when the volume was turned down completely?  Those sounds were in the 16-18,000 Hz range.  Adults rarely hear over 12-14,000 Hz.  You probably won't hear 90db, even 120db at about 15,000 Hz.   If this inventor is using MHz, it's a horse of a different color.  I doubt we'd hear the MHz range much at all.  But it could make your skin crawl.  Men who worked on some of the government radars around the world will attest to that fact, because sometimes the radars were accidentally activated while they were in the focus of one of those beams of energy.  What 15 MHz might do to mite and bee tissue is an interesting question...Perhaps the answer is already in.

HTH

Lee_Burough