From:
Mark Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:08:54 -0400
Hello All...

On the West Coast of Canada (Vancouver), we have been experiencing some
rather abnormal dryness and warm conditions that have me wondering if this
is going to cause problems with our colonies.

Being that Vancouver is situated in a temperate rain forest climate, we
ususally start to get rain for extended periods in October, accompanied by
much cooler temps (not below freezing).  These rains and cool temps
continue throughout the Winter, and does it ever rain!! Seattle is a sunny
paradise compared to Vancouver at this time of year!!!

Anyhow, this year Vancouver has received little to no rain for 4 months and
there has been nothing more that a drizzle for several days in October.
Although, the evenings are cool and misty, the outdoor temps - both day &
night - have been much warmer than ususal.  In fact, I still see quite a
few drones hanging about the hive entrances, when they should have been
long evicted. Also, given the warm temps the bees are extrordinarily busy
bringing large quantities of pollen (bright yellow-dandelion, I surmise).

I've already done the winter preparations and am still feeding with 2:1
Sugar syrup and the bees are lapping it up as fast as it can be supplied.
All the hives are winter wrapped in 1/2 polystyrene and Roofing tar paper
and entrances reduced to 2" with 1/4" hardware mesh over the entrance.  The
upper entrance on the inner-board is also open.

My concerns are as follows;
1/... Given the warm temps and dry weather, will the winter wrap give the
hive a false sense weather and they don't properly go into winter prep
mode.  Will they go into another brood cycle that could overcrowd the hive
with young bees for the winter and possibly strain winter stores?

2/...  I've noticed that the Varoa drop is starting to increase again and
that there are still capped Drone brood in most of the hives.  Will these
abnormally warm temps create a mite "bloom" late in the season, after the
Aug/Sept treatements?

3/...  Should I have waited till the temperature actually dropped and rains
set-in before wrapping the hive against the harsh realities of the winter
rains and cold?

4/...  Do bees consume more food when they are cold or warm over the winter
period?

Given these weather conditions, and the extremely active hive behaviour I
am concerned that the colonies might be fooled into thinking that winter is
much furhter away than it is...

I'm sure that what I've written above is naive, however, any clarity or
explanations about the concerns I have expressed above would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark Walker
Vancouver, Canada