From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:51:08 -0400

First year of major CCD in southern states, Scott ran across a guy with a device that claimed he could: 1) recognize early stages of CCD - I think his device supposedly had a crystal, then 2) he could make up a tonic, adjusted to the 'readings', and 3) he'd sell the cure to the beekeeper at a hefty price.  He also claimed that using his device he could determine colony health from photos of beehives.

We found beekeepers who believed it; were debating whether to 'pay'.

I've also seen the crystal folks give presentations at bee meetings claiming that a bit of copper wire and crystal will protect hives up to 20 miles away, you're just adjusting 'fields'.  They claim their approach is based on quantum physics.  And surprise, their handful of colonies are doing fine - well there was the loss two years ago, due to ........, but that was to be expected.

Fools that we are here in Missoula - we keep working on developing and calibrating acoustic and infra-red imaging systems for colony strength and health assessments - and our devices take time and effort to develop, design, and build; not to mention we've been working on robust calibrations.

We should have been packaging crystals and string.  That would keep the overhead a lot lower - and sales might take off.  We could even crowd source it, get everyone to buy and give crystal kits beekeepers to help save the bees.  Anyone remember Pet Rocks?

J.J. Bromenshenk
Bee Alert
Missoula, Mt