From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:58:27 -0400
I wrote:
> It is a topic I know a little about, having worked for five years making
wax foundation, up to 1000 pounds a day. In my opinion ...

Mr. Waggle wrote:
> Is there a good reference that bees ’stretch’ foundation to create cells?

Reply:
Yes. Me. You mentioned that you used black foundation. I have no idea where
you got it, but I used to make colored foundation at the Knorr's for people
to roll into candles. This was the thinnest grade, eight sheets to the pound
standard size. Most people used medium brood (7 sheets/lb.) or heavy brood
(5.5 sheets/pound) in their beehives. (Thin white for comb honey)

After putting foundation on a hive, you can clearly see that they remove wax
from the bases of the cells, since they detect an excess of wax there. We
would prefer it if they would leave it there as this makes a tougher midrib!
That's why Dadant began putting plastic a sheet between two sheets of wax to
make their foundation, and later hard plastic was used.

I doubt that a "scientific study" has been done on this. I hope not, because
it really doesn't matter much. (Why spend the money?) Anyway, beekeeper
experience is more important than a hundred studies, in the practical
aspects of beekeeping.

pb