Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:32:50 GMT
>>So why is it then, beekeepers do so much artificially in
the opposite direction, that then effects the the food and
environment  (both in hive and outside)the queens raised
are dependent upon, in which to survive well?

Why? Indoctrination and conformity! ;-))  It's the same in medicine -
we don't focus on restoring/maintaining wellness preferring to focus
on dealing with symptoms.  Cancer is a good example.  The
overwhelming majority of cancer patients subjected to orthodox
radiation and chem therapies, die within short periods of time.  Both
therapies indiscriminately attack cancer & healthy cells and
seriously weaken the patients' immune system.

On the other hand, as derived through double-blind research studies,
there are nutritional protocols that allow the body to repair its DNA
and bring degenerated cancer cells under control.  In the studies,
high percentages of patients recover.

So why don't folks get advised by the doctors to use alternative
protocols?  The pharmaceutical establishment would stand to lose
their profits.  That's why pharmaceutical interests often sponsor
studies to discredit natural approaches.

I suspect the same happens in beekeeping.

What's my excuse for not using 4.9 combs?  Despite the fact that I
have yet to hear about anyone who's tried 4.9 combs and had colonies
succumb to varroa,  I've resisted converting my outfit.  Since the
start, I've been using plastic frames.  I'd have to buy wooden frames
and install 4.9 foundation -- I am not ready for the new, EXPENSIVE,
full cell depth, 4.9 plastic frames.

OA treatments, once a year, take care of my varroa issues and I don't
have contaminated combs.  Should this benign method fail due to the
parasite building up resistance, I may switch to 4.9 cell.  I'd be
inclined to do it now if Pierco had it but they don't have immediate
plans to introduce the new size.

I also read about pseudoscorpins from India that attack varroa in
hives without harming bees.  This could be a good natural control of
varroa in North America one day...

Waldemar
Long Island, NY