From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:52:56 -0400
>I have two hives that have been robbed of the last drop of honey by =
>other hives.   I can only move them a few hundred feet  would moving be =
>worth the effort and inside feeders save them from this winters =
>starving??

Moving will just weaken them more by losing some of their field force. Get
the entrance reducer on to allow the remaining bees a chance to regain
control of their hive.

If you are using a entrance feeder switch it to pure water, no syrup. Then
give them some sugar candy or dry sugar on the inner cover as an emergency
food source until you can see if they are going to be able to pull it
together. I would be afraid that any source of liquid food is going to
encourage the robbing.

If the hive can restore its defenses, I would feed them some 2:1 syrup from
an internal feeder until they get their stores built up. Also, since they
have been stressed, I would consider this as a good time to treat for mites
with Apistan (for Varroa) and grease patties (for tracheal). It may also be
a good idea to treat with antibiotic.