Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:12:58 -0500
Top bar is out in our area of the world. I know there are some who
overwinter in Maine but they do not enjoy much success.

Reversing is also out because I do not want heavy lifting. I do have
mentees who help me but I never reverse so why start now.

So what was my plan? All I need do is to get the queen down into the top
deep and out of the shallow supers. I have time, so Mike's idea is perfect
to get all the brood into one super and that should force the queen down
into the top deep if she is not down there already. I will leave the other
super either in storage or over a queen excluder.

If she has already moved down, then just put the queen excluder on the
deep. If not, in late April or whenever the nights become reasonable warm,
I will shake down the bees from the brooded super into the top deep, move
the queen excluder between the two shallows and all is well for the
remaining year.

Thanks to those who commented.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine