From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:38:29 -0700
--- On Mon, 3/22/10, Glen <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I'm trying to remember at what point I should swap the brood boxes

Dr. Dewey Caron spoke at our last beemeeting and had a great graphic to answer that very question.  I've attempted to render it in ASCII below.  The short version is that the swap has nothing to do with when or whether the queen is laying and everything to do with the location of the cluster right now.

Swap when the entire spherical cluster is in the upper box, not when they're split between the two boxes.  In northeast Ohio, my bees are straddling the split right now.

Apologies in advance if the ASCII rendering doesn't show well in your email.

Swap this                               to this
 ----------          ----------
|    XX    |        |          |
|   XXXX   |        |          |
|  XXXXXX  |        |          |
|  XXXXXX  |        |          |
|   XXXX   |        |          |
|    XX    |        |          |
|----------|        |----------|
|          |        |    XX    |
|          |        |   XXXX   |
|          |        |  XXXXXX  |
|          |        |  XXXXXX  |
|          |        |   XXXX   |
|          |        |    XX    |
 ----------          ----------

Don't swap this                   to this
 ----------          ----------
|          |        |  XXXXXX  |
|          |        |   XXXX   |
|          |        |    XX    |