Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:57:51 -0400
> Michael Palmer posted on another forum that the sugar method raised nosema
> counts on hives in Maine. This was a study done by Tony Jadczak and his son
> Alex on 184 hives in Maine and NY. Maybe Mike will post the study here.
>
> My guess is that the context here is feeding sugar syrup as an additive to
promote buildup, not in saving bees from starvation in spring using candy.

Which is the preferred route, a bit of candy to prevent starvation but might
promote, for a very short time, some nosema, or just allowing the bees to
die, but fortunately it will not be from nosema, so we can rest more easily.

It will be interesting to see what the alternative is for emergency feeding
for clusters that are at the top of the frames. My guess is none since the
study was not based on emergency candy.

Totally anecdotal, but I have yet to have a nosema problem and have fed
spring candy for years. But I do not feed in the fall.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine