From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:57:39 -0500
> Funny you talking doing back in 1956 and yet USDA did same  bringing bees
here for looking at and doings!!!!<

<You know what,  it was NOT the same.> P.B.

I don't want to get in the middle of this, I've seen Africanized bees in
S.America, TX.

However, my FIRST introduction to them, and they were every bit as  nasty
as those in S. America and TX, was in the mid-1970s in a holding yard near
Colstrip, Montana.

Two colonies in old hives were WAY  off to the side.  When  you pulled up
to the gate to the field 1/4 mile from the yard, you got hit by  guard bees
as soon as you stepped out of the truck.  Beekeeper told me  that he would
work all the other hives, then screw up his nerve, and  work the two ratty
hives.  They were the only survivors from the  'new line' of bees distributed
to MT, Dakotas, Wyoming courtesy of USDA in the  70s.

The beekeeper put up with these NASTY colonies because they were good
producers in that semi-arid rangeland setting.

Bill Wilson almost ended his  career over these bees that were  provided by
Baton Rouge and the breeders working with them.  Bill had  nothing to do
with the introduction.  He blew the whistle on this failed  experiment - which
coincided with the first major waves of disappearing  disease.  In our
northern states, those first introductions failed to make  the winter - empty
boxes in the spring were the norm.  Those two near  Colstrip were the only
ones that I ever found still alive in eastern MT, western  N.D.  May have been
a few others hidden around,

Bill's reward for tracing the origins of these failing colonies back  to
Baton Rouge was to have the Wyoming lab shut down, and he was transferred to
the new lab in Weslaco, TX.

Jerry