From:
Richard Spiekhout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 22:16:35 EDT
Hi Alan,
Cedar is not rot resistant because of the smell.  It is more wearther proof
because it contains an oil based resin rather than a water based sap in wood
that has to be kiln dried.  This oil produces the cedar smell and some say
that the oil is what causes it to repel moths, termites, and fleas.  This is
why I question wether or not it would repel mites in bee hives.  I use cedar
shavings in my dog kennels.  My dogs are kept clean and have no fleas.  If
this is because of the cedar or hygene, I don't know, but they smell good.
Cedar is cut to 7/8m thickness to allow for planing to 3/4 in lumber.
Thank You for the info on cedar hives.  I will definetly try them.
Do you have mite problems in your cedar hives?
I know more about wood thatn bees but I am learning.

I attended a really great meeting today of the Nashville Area Beekeepers Assn.
The are some of the most friendly folks I have been around.  If all bee
keepers are like these folks,  that is reason enough to become a beekeeper
just to be counted as 1 of them.  Thanks for making me feeling welcome.

Enough rambling.

Richard

,