From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:05:37 -0700
> With the entrance on the long side ie. 20" or called the warm way.
> Personally I don't believe it makes much difference to temperature within
> the hive. After all the entrance is still the same size.

???? Maybe I'm missing something here, since going 'warm way', I envision
the entrance to be 18.5" long, rather than 15" or so?

> The obvious position to manipulate a hive is from the back. On four
> packs, which are the commercial standard in western Canada this would be
> impossible!!!!!!!!!

Everyone I know, works the hives from the side.  Seems to work fine.  Has
some advantages, like being able to shake bees in front, if desired.
This might be difficult in close-spaced rows, but such rows are not good
practice anyhow, due to drifting.

> Of course your ankles are now hidden from incoming bees by the boxes in
> front of you. Less ankle stings!!

I usually work in sandals w/o socks, and have not noticed an ankle
problem.  The only guy I knew that had a huge problem wore his shoes and
socks into a hog barn before work.

> As to the strength of the floor, one way versus another makes no
> difference. The strength of the rim surrounding the floor supports the
> boxes, not the middle of the floor.

On our floors -- and likely yours from what you say -- that is true since
we have cleats under front and back for access for forks and carts as well
as a rim on three sides; however the ordinary floors sold by bee supply
houses only have a rim on *three* sides, and bee supply house equipment
tends to set the standard in folks minds.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey,Bees&Art<http://www.internode.net/allend/>