Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:22:59 GMT
>in fact, individually-wrapped Asian pears command the
price of gold while these American pears are sold cheap by the pound.

Last year, I planted an Asian pear with 5 different varieties grafted on one tree for cross-pollination.  It bloomed this year and produced fruit on 3 of the grafts.  I was quite happy to see a dozen bees pollinating the flowers since one of my books pears list as a lesser nectar source compared to cherries or apples.  The fruit was smaller than the store type but more flavorful.  The branches were loaded with nice fruit.  I think I'll need to thin out next year...

>>I also realize that these survival stocks will not be able to feed the hungry mouths globally since monocroping will inevitably usher in the pests.

On the other hand, there are millions of 'useless' back and front yards in America (and elsewhere in the world).  If turned into mini orchards and gardens, they could produce food to feed millions.  Like they once did.

Waldemar