Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:27:24 -0500
>Are you saying that a powdered sugar shake seems to be as accurate an
>indicator as an alcohol wash?   I've heard various opinions.  I rather like
>the idea of a sugar shake which leaves the bees alive as apposed to an
>alcohol wash which disposes of around three hundred bees (I have a soft
>heart).

Gary Reuter was a speaker at ESHPA last weekend and he gave a
presentation on using powdered sugar for a shake.  He says their method is
quite accurate, and frankly, in my application of alcohol wash I have seen
variability, particularly where the bees or the alcohol are cool, so I think a
lot comes down to the operator.

Anyhow, his method was to measure 300 bees into a pint mason jar.
A screen is then screwed on, replacing the tin part of the lid.  The screen is
coarser than window screen, but the mesh is small enough that bees don't
get through. (6 or 8 mesh?)

two tablespoons of icing sugar is added and the jar is rotated and shaken
until the bees are all coated with sugar.  The jar is then inverted over
a white saucer and left 1-2 minutes and then shaken again
so the mites drop out.  When no more mites come out, then the mites are
counted.  If too much sugar in the saucer makes counting hard, then add a
little water to make the mites easier to see.

He indicated they have calibrated this method and it compares well with
alcohol wash and takes about the same time.  I am also assuming that,
ideally, a few jars would be used so one can sit while another is being prepared.

After all is done, the bees can be added back to the hive and go about their
business.