From:
Bill Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:43:28 -0600
I was rereading some of my old issues of American Bee Journal.  In the
March 1997 issue in the column, "The Classroom" written by Jerry Hayes,
there is a suggestion to try feeding marshmallows to bees.  In the May
issue of that year a couple of beekeepers respond that they had tried
feeding marshmallows to bees.  One writer said, "Even on chilly days,
the bees continued to eat away at the marshmallows.  After observing the
bees for several days, I am convinced that this is definitely a better
way to feed a hive during the winter."  Does anybody know of any harmful
effects of feeding marshmallows to bees?  The package I have in front of
me lists the ingredients as follows: corn syrup, sugar, corn starch,
water, gelatin, artificial flavor.