From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2017 06:25:40 -0500
a Peter Borst snip followed by > my comment....
One of the things that I hear on Bee-L from time to time is that beekeepers wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on products, such as Fumagillin, if they didn't get a benefit. The idea that one gets a return for every dollar spent, is simply not true.
>There are several stumbling blocks to this idea when you are talking about either bees or agriculture...  1) since all this is done in a very uncontrolled conditions you never really know what is effecting what and quite often other factors will modify your efforts(+or-) and 2) as I beat into the heads of the students here you will only know if something works if you test before and after.

A stock market broker once told me he made as much or more money when the stock market was tanking than when booming; he said brokers hate it when prices are flat. So, just because you are spending money, it doesn't follow that you have spent it well.
>This is (as I would guess most know here) largely about volume.  The only aspect of price that enters the picture is the EXPECTATIONS of what will happen to future price. Although lots of economic minded people like to think economics is about physical reality almost always peoples expectations crowds any reality out of the picture.

Gene in Central Texas