From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:33:05 -0400
Charlie,

Your question "Interesting topic.  Here is my question on the subject,  when do the regs actually kick in??  Bottling?  Extraction?"

It is spelled out in Section 7 c of the legislation (the text is copied below)

"(c) If a producer is engaged in the sale of honey that is
left in the comb or removed from the comb in an unadulterated
condition at a local market and packs or sells less than 500
gallons of honey produced in this State per year, then the
Department may not regulate or inspect the producer's honey
house"

I am not a lawyer, but if you pack ('i.e bottle liquid extracted honey or pack comb honey of less than 500 gallons") you do not need a Dept of Public Health inspected honey house.   Since 5 gallons is roughly 60 pounds, this equates to 6,000 pounds of honey if you are doing both extracted honey and comb sections, rounds, etc.

So to me, it kicks in when you package it for sale to a consumer, be it in 1 lb  or 60 lb containers, 50 gallon drums or something in between.   When you get close to the 6,000 lb or 500 gallon threshold or cross it, you either need to cease and give it back to the bees, or do the right thing and get your facility inspected.

Breaking it down to the simplest term.... when it comes out of your holding tank or extractor into 5 gallon buckets or into drums/barrels, that is when you should start counting... at least that is when I do it.

Steve Petrilli,  Central Illinois