From:
Peter Kevan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1992 17:30:42 EDT
The issues which have come up over bee drifting are interesting. Kirk's
remarks, and those of Speaker to Insects, reminded me of the multiple
nesting aggregations of Apis dorsata on particular trees and other lofty
supports. In such places, one may see up to may tens of colonies on
the same support, and colonies separated by only a meter or so on the
same limbs or ledges. One might expect that these honey bees, naturally
nesting in aggregations, might show lesser propensity for drifting than other
species of honey bees. I don't know if anyone has looked at this aspect
of the sociobiology of A. dorsta; I suspect not.