Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 05:50:32 -0400
Metro Propolis wrote: "It's my observation that there is a correlation
between bigger populations, more stores, and increased defensiveness.
Given that Top bar hives are of a fixed size, with limited room for
surplus, this particular condition is never met. Top bar keepers
frequently interpret this as a sign that bees are "happier" in a TBH."

Consider this from the bees' point of view: the family/household/city
is functioning well and is prosperous with all the family going about
their business.  It has been a good year and we have managed to tuck
away plenty of stores for the approaching winter.  Mum has slowed down
her laying a bit now and she isn't as young as she used to be.  With so
many bees in the hive we aren't all getting our full daily dose of the
'happiness fix' she gives us, that we all love. Suddenly there is a
smell of smoke!  We may have to evacuate!  Head for some open cells and
get a crop full of nectar to keep us going and help re-establish if
necessary!  Drat, most of the cells are now sealed over so we can't all
get some.

Then the hive shakes! Earthquake!  Next, light shines in through the
ceiling!  All our comforting household scents that tell us what's going
on where are swirled around and away so we don't know what's happening
any more!  Then we see movements overhead!  Are we under attack?  There
is an almighty crack and our home judders as our nice propolis draught
excluder is snapped and the upper layer of our home is whisked away.
We see the moving body more clearly now, and, through the smoke, can
get it's aroma: mammal! Enemy! Defend ourselves at once or it will
destroy us and eat our babies and our stores!  Attack!  Attack!

With the TBH, things happen much more gently and only the bees on the
comb you are looking at know you are there.

Chris