From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:20:22 -0600
On re-reading the info at http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa2.htm
it occured to me that using oils for the first time, some
type of measurement of results is important.

I gathered that the experimenters were using sticky boards and could
track the effects on the mites and tell when their treatment was
working -- or not.

I also gather the original poster in this thread did not actually
monitor his results until he noticed that the hives had died or
dwindled and that varroa were everywhere on the remaining bees.  By
then it was too late.

And... since the amount of fall feed was only 5 quarts per hive --
if I recall, I would disagree with Andy and say that the syrup
should not have been the cause of collapse.  It seems to have been
the failure of the mite treatment.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>