From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2016 17:19:04 -0700
Charlie,

I'm also troubled by what seems to me to be confusion between the terms
"resistant" and "tolerant."  I've got an email to a collaborator in Europe
to see why he used the term "tolerant" in an email to me this week (in
which I would have used "resistant."

Until I'm corrected, I use "tolerance" for colonies that don't get sick,
despite having high levels of varroa.  One potential mechanism would be to
be vertically infected with DWV-B, which may allow them some degree of
immunity to DWB-A.

To me, "resistance" is the bees' ability to retard the rate of reproductive
success of varroa, such that mite populations never build to damaging
levels in the hive.  Thus, viruses would no longer be an associated issue.

--

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com