Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 02:06:32 GMT
Speaking of extractor bearings...this morning I was shown a beautiful home made extractor...the builder is a true craftsman of the highest order... nice work all around (I used to make very, very fine orchestral flutes and piccolos for a living...I know the good stuff when I see it).  All stainless steel.

There were no gears...it is setup for a variable speed drill to drive it...a 6 hive operation).

He was very pleased with his choice of bearings...using food grade delrin sleve bearing.  I've used this material (the stuff small plastic gears are often made of)...it machines easily, is durable, and it is soft enough that it will allow small hard, abrasive particles to embed themselves in the bearing (where they do not abrade)...like an old bronze bearing.

No need to lubricate this stuff (the builder said that honey lubricates it just fine), and just washes it down when done (he fills it with a 10% bleach and rinses before use).

I don't know how well this would work with a larger unit (this was a 4 frame tangetial), or if it could be used to retrofit an extractor designed for a sealed bearing cartridge...but since we were talking about bearings, I thought I would mention it.

deknow