From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:40:49 PST
Peter Borst wrote

>       The term feral colonies is a mis-nomer. In countries where
> beekeeping is widespread, the only difference between bees in hives
> and bees in trees is just that: the former live in hives, the latter
> in trees.

In Australia this is not the case.  We have carried out DNA work on feral colonies and they are not related to the lines we currently run as commercial hives.  Our ferals are descended from the mellifera mellifera brought to Australia in the early days which swarmed regularly and has adapted quite well as feral colonies in our environment.

We find that our commercial strains, if they swarm, will not survive as ferals for any length of time.  They have been pampered for too long by us breeders and have to be shifted around or feed to survive.  It is basically like lot feeding cattle.

We have breed bees that are not inclined to swarm because a hive that swarms is no longer a highly productive unit.  We cannot afford to be shifting hives around like tourists.  They are not there just for the view.  Our hives must work.

The DNA work was commissioned to show that feral colonies and commercial colonies are different  We have been charged in the past that our colonies are keeping the feral population alive and we should not be allowed to take our hives on any conserved land.  We proved our case and that argument no longer holds water.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA