From:
Ghislain De Roeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 07:35:51 +0200
> Plants produce sugar for itself, but the sugar concentration
depends on the water content of the bottom and the concentration of nitrogen
in the air ...

>Is the concentration of nitrogen in air not fairly constant?

Peter,

I used a bad translation, sorry. Please read "carbon dioxide" instead of
nitrogen (chemical formula CO2).

In more detail now:

Sugar is made through photosynthesis by a chemical reaction within the
plant's cell.  Photosynthesis takes place in the chloroplast of a cell.
Light is absorbed into the cell by chlorophyll which is located in the
chloroplast (an organelle in a plant cell.).  The chemical reaction that
produces sugar is powered by the sun's energy.  Carbon Dioxide, CO2, is
absorbed by the plant through the stomata (small openings on the underside
of the plants leaves) and water, H20, which is absorbed through the root
hairs are combined together in a chemical reaction, which produces glucose,
or the sugar that plants use for energy.  The chemical formula for the
process is 6CO2 + 6H2O (+ light energy) =C6H12O6 + 6O2.

Kind regards,

Ghislain De Roeck,
Belgium.