From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:34:42 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Lloyd Spear
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>When harvesting comb honey supers it is very important to do one of two t=
>hings:
>1.  Go out the preceding day and lift up the supers to be harvested and, =
>of course, take off the inner cover.  It will be best if you also scrape =
>the burr comb, but it is not absolutely necessary.
snip.
A deceased friend who was a bee inspector used to make up shims of a bee
space to insert between supers. He used a clearer board and reckoned
that the bees in the supers would clean up the honey before going
downstairs and leave everything nice and dry. It means a lot of
carpentry and two visits of course. Overnight is one good way. I have
done this but don't have enough shims! The shim is a simple frame of the
width of your hive body and the same outside dimensions. I used all mine
up to support sheet zinc queen excluders to create a top bee space in a
bottom bee space system.
--
James Kilty