From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:15:53 -0600
>    I would also like to know if anyone  knows if I can get my hives to
> make a good emergency queen when there is no flow going on but there is
> a lot of pollen and a lot of honey stores, or would you have to feed in
> a time like this.

Income and savings are two different things.

With only savings, people tend to be conservative in their living style.
With ample income, they tend to be more generous and expansive.

The same holds for bees.  They can live very nicely on their savings, but
if you want them to raise maximum young a little income is stimulative.

Therefore, we ALWAYS feed, even during a flow when we are raising queens
by any method.  Moreover, the problem with stores is that they may be
granulated or sub-standard in some way.  Feed in the hive is not the same
as feed in the bee.  You want liquid open feed close to the brood, and
lots of pollen.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/