From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:33:35 -0500
Wayne Young wrote:
> Do you have any idea what plant the dark black pollen might come from?I
> have never really figured out the blue pollen either.

Hi Wayne!

Out there on the water, you're probably further along than the rest of
us flatlanders. It's early but you could have a small variety of pollen
available. Cedar is a possible candidate as well as alder and pussy
willow. Nothing like that is blooming here on the mainland yet but it
might be out where you are. As early as it is, skunk cabbage is likely
if it grows on your island. From Wikipedia:

"Skunk cabbage is notable for its ability to produce heat of up to
15-35° C above air temperature by cyanide resistant cellular respiration
in order to melt its way through frozen ground, placing it among a small
group of plants exhibiting thermogenesis."

Facinating :)

I also find Pollen.com to be a very useful site:

http://www.pollen.com/

According to them, Cedar and Poplar are likely blooming, or about to,
around Rockport. They tell you about everything there is to know about
different kinds of pollen including whether or not it's generally used
by bees, but they don't mention the color :(

> I did notice a little robbing going on today. It may not be a big
> deal,but I just don`t won`t them to do it.

Nip it. In the bud.

Enjoy the day,

George-
George Fergusson