From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:14:29 -0400
> Jim you constantly put people down and turn
> words around to fit your own claims.

I merely quoted exactly what was said, citing it
as an example of the "science be damned, let's ban
pesticides and herbicides" view, which was exactly
the view put forth.  No "put down" was even attempted.

Here is exactly what was said, and what I quoted
in full:

>> even if there is a lack of science behind the book's claims -
>> banning the use of lawn products would be a great day.

I "turned around" nothing at all, and the proof is that
the same claim was repeated yet again, as follows:

> or maybe you have some science to quote why it would be
> a great day to continue the use of the products for mere
> cosmetic reasons?

The qualifying phrase "mere cosmetic reasons" is a
significant change from the broader claim quoted above
about "lawn products" in general, but it changes nothing
in terms of the rationale, and justifies no ban.

"Lawn products", regardless of intent, are not going to
make any impact on any significant number of colonies,
as the overwhelming bulk of hives never come anywhere
near suburbia.  While a complete ban on all "lawn
products" might make a few hobby beekeepers happy, it
would do little else.  It would impact maybe 3% to 5%
of US colonies in total, and a negligible percentage of
the pollination and honey production, perhaps 1% of
the total.

As for the usefulness of "lawn products", I need cite only
a single plant - so-called "Switch Grass" or "Orchard Grass"
common in rural areas of VA.  The roots go deeper than excavated
foundations, and one cannot keep the stuff at bay with less
than an herbicide.  If left unchecked, it can choke out a
home garden, and also choke out a truck garden crop.  It
can destroy a sidewalk or driveway in a matter of weeks
if left unchallenged.

So, one man's "cosmetic reason" is another man's last line of
defense to protect his families veggie supply for 2008/2009.
Who are we to presume to judge?  Times are getting harder,
so I expect backyard gardening to take off again, just as
it does whenever the economy falters.

Sometimes, one NEEDS things like pesticides and herbicides.
Need I mention Kudzu? Purple Loosestrife? Tartarian honeysuckle?
Russian olive? Siberian elm? Tree-of-heaven? English ivy?
Leafy spurge? Mile-a-minute? Tamarisk? Melaleuca trees?