From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 18:30:47 -0800
Hello Gentlepeople
  With snow on the ground and the bees all clustered up for winter.I'm
taking on a project and have had a hard time finding some information.
  I would appreciate information on any research which determined a mean
level of (E_)-9-Hydroxy-decenoic acid (9-HDA) and (E_)-9-oxo-2-decenoic
acid (9-ODA) in queen bees.I want to quantify the levels so new queens
may be tested for 9-ODA and 9-HDA.If any researcher has used this to
determine the acceptability of a new queen to a hive.
  I have read many papers and have not found much more than the queen has
the compounds and uses them to control different behaviors of the
workers. Its much more complex than just two compounds.In Bee Genetics
and Breeding By Dr. Rinderer 1986,he has me looking at what genetic
variability we have in our queens, that controls there pheromone level.
 Thank you for your time.
  Roy Nettlebeck
 Tahuya River Apiaries
Tahuya Wash. 98588