From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 01:18:22 -0000
I wrote
> > But Nosema spores are killed by water (and sunlight, and acetic acid
> > fumes).

Aaron replied
> Don't have my books, working from memory, going out on a limb.  Nosema is
> paramecium, does not produce spores and thrives in water.

Sorry Aaron, not being a scientist I admit to not knowing what a paramecium
is and too early in the morning to start searching for the answer, please
inform me. But Bulletin 100 Diseases of Bees published by the (UK) Ministry
of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food states, and I quote;

"The length of time for which the spores can retain their ability to
germinate depends upon the conditions to which they are exposed following
their deposition with the excreta of infected bees. They remain viable for
many months in dried spots of excreta on brood combs, for example, but lose
their viability within a few days when suspended in water and exposed to
direct sunlight. The spores are readily killed by heat and by suitable
fumigants."

The causative organism of Nosema is most certainly a spore and affects the
mid-gut of the bee, queens and all. It is a parasite (is that a paramecium)
which causes Amoeba and affects the Malpighian tubules, which without
grabbing my books I believe are equivalent to the kidneys of the human.

The sunlight method of treatment I have always discarded knowing that
diseased combs would need to be left easily assessable to robbing bees, a
sure way of spreading infection. Heat is obviously impractical but together
with sunlight it proves that spores will be killed in the solar extractor.
Yes I may be wrong regarding water, it was not until I checked my literature
that I was reminded, "but lose their viability within a few days when
suspended in water", but it also states dried spots. If a bee freshly
excretes over my rubber gloves this would easily be flushed away in the
bucket.

So those spores are still in the bucket, I agree, and will not be dead for
sometime afterwards, I now agree, but very few things are perfect in
beekeeping. At least every effort should be taken to avoid the spreading of
diseases and that is what I am promoting.

On the same subject Peter Dillion commented on "athlete's hand and or digits
that would pass for a prime pair of prunes" with temperatures at 30+. I
agree with him and obviously have very little experience of continuously
working in those temperatures, but have worn rubber gloves for long periods
in the UK. Yes the hands do look as if I have laid in the bathtub for four
hours, but effects partially relieved by wearing cotton liners under the
rubber gloves.

Ken Hoare - with the amount of water (rain) in Shropshire there should be no
Nosema.