From:
Kathy Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 19:53:29 -0700
Brain you are so right!

Throughout this last year bees have gotten a lot of positive attention, but what has not
been reflected adequately is how essential beekeepers are and that beekeepers
shoulder all the financial consequences  when things go south.

It also fries me that enough is not said  about the factors working against
beekeepers,  many of which are contributed by some of the industry's customers
who might instead be asking the folks in the industry, "What can we do?"

Reforms on payment limitations will continue to be generous to major crop producers.
IMHO, getting meaningful help and recognition for the industry is going to take a lot of work,
including a MORE VOCAL and unified bee industry and convincing ag organizations
that supporting beekeepers' issues will help them get reliable, predictable, and affordable
pollination services.

If the Farm Bill ends up vetoed, the pollinator provisions in the conservation and research titles
will be gone until whatever extension approved is up and they can be resubmitted assuming
either the same or other senators and representatives will carry them.

The research and conservation will be exercised in existing programs which are  feeble considering
the far sighted implications of possible continued honey bee health declines.  But  we can plug away
with the current authorities though annual appropriations.

If the Farm Bill passes authorizing funding is not appropriating funding, so still that hoop remains.

Kathy