From:
BCULTURE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:06:33 EDT
Hello,
The Ohio State Beekeeper's Association, in conjunction with a medium sized,
urban Ohio community, is developing what we hope is a model ordinance for
cities, and beekeepers, at least for Ohio. Much has been said here re suburban
beekeeping and common sense, and I have made it available to those in the
process of developing this ordinance. However, we are also looking for
exisiting ordinances that focus on this aspect of nusiance claims, irrate
neighbors, water rights, etc., etc.
If you live in a community that already has an ordinance, good or bad,
relative to honey bees, beekeeping, performaing an agricultural business
within the boundires of a city or town, or whatever, we would be pleased to
contact your zoning board to obtain a copy. Or, if you can, send or email a
copy to us.
Once complete we will supply a copy of what we came up with to anyone who
wants one to use, or not, locally.
A growing concern amoung beekeepers in some locations is to preempt a
restrictive ordinance rather than have to react to one. That is our goal here.
Any help will be appreciated, as has all the information presented already.
Of course the other side of the coin says let sleeping dogs lie, don't rock
the boat, etc. etc. etc. There is some truth, and some logic in this
reasoning, However, we feel that the urban crunch is escalating to such a
degree that these confrontations can no longer be ignored. Thus our actions.
Please send any correspondance directly to me rather than clutter the list
with some more of the same. Please send any information to;

Kim Flottum
OSBA President
7011 Spieth Road
Medina, OH 44256
330.722.2021 eves
800.289.7668 ext 3214 days
or email me directly at

Thanks for any help. We will be sharing our results fairly soon.

Kim Flottum
OSBA President