From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:35:44 -0500
The bat die-off news has been in the local newspapers and television
stations in the Albany, NY area.  I googled for local articles:
http://capitalnews9.com/content/your_news/capital_region/109749/mystery-
disease-killing-bats/Default.aspx
or
http://tinyurl.com/2gzcxn

I discovered that the story was picked up by at least 2 national papers
on the left and right coast (Boston and San Francisco).  I almost didn't
approve the original submission because it was so off-topic, but the SF
paper DID connect the dots between the bat disease and honey bees and it
got me wondering if there might be a common denominator.

My recollection was that the cause of BBD (Beleaguered Bats
Disappearing) might lie in unusual weather (drought in late summer,
followed by later than normal winter onset, and an unusually warm winter
causing bats to go into winter physically lighter than they should be
and burning their insufficient calorie reserves due to unusually warm
weather).

What I found most interesting is how the scientific professionals are
being challenged by the unscientific professionals.  The similarities
are uncanny!  In this case, NY's Wildlife Pathologist Dr. Ward Stone
states up front that at this point in time he really doesn't know what
is causing the problem but can offer some possible explanations, and
more research is definitely in order.  It is observed on spelunker blogs
that Dr. Stone is a political appointee, and what he is speculating is
not what the spelunkers are seeing in the caves, and the spelunkers have
been in far more caves than Dr. Stone has visited in his entire life!

So yes, there is an unquestionable similarity between BBD and CCD.

Aaron Morris - thinking its got to be cell phones!