Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:12:19 GMT
>>I grow apples and do not spray.
Me, too.  I've planted varieties that extend the apple season from July into October and the October apples are supposed to store for up to 6 months.  The trees are young and should have only a small crop this year.  The bees did visit them last spring.
>>But, if you do that, be prepared to enjoy protein occasionally.
Or just watch every bite and discard the worm.
>>At a farmer's market corn stand or even the supermarket, check the pulled back husks on corn ears where
people check for worms.
I've seen people do this but only to check how well the corn is filled (how well it had been pollinated).
>>Apples, according to an impeccable organic source, cannot be grown with no spray without damage.
I heard organic apples are possible west of the Rockies.
>>So if you want a no-spray apple, after the first bite be prepared for something to look back at you. Or half of something.
Which no-spray variety did you try?  I selected what seemed like the best flavored varieties from the comparisons by a couple of universities (William's Pride and Enterprise if my memory serves me right).  The rest are antique varieties.
Thanks.
Waldemar