From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2094 21:11:10 -0700
John Edwards states the Arizona situation about right.  As I recall there
was also some bad blood between a small group of beekeepers and the state
government.  There was also a perception that research would be ten to 20
years in developing anything of substantial benefit to the bee industry
which has proven to be about right.  Though knowledge has indeed been
enhanced.  While I don't blame beekeepers for not wanting government
restrictions and quarantines, it is usually a reaction built on
preconceptions due to a lack of knowledge of the process and purpose of
quarantines.  Some beekeepers forget that they are not the only ones in the
ag community or public with interests that need negotiation or placating.
Unfortunately, all too often there isn't anyone around with the expertise to
do a good risk analysis process and cost impact calculation at the genesis
of a problem.  Such was the case in Texas.  Actual impact is about twice
what was estimated by the local "expert".  Also, everyone appears to stand
back at these times to let others take the leadership role knowing that they
will be the object of a lot of vitriol in the process.  A large amount of
lack of communication always exists during these episodes, further
complicating the issues and the understanding of them.

Unfortunately also, beekeepers rarely work out the problems themselves
because they don't have the expertise and many find it hard to work with
each other and with government.  Not being regular participants in the
government process makes it difficult for them to come up to speed in time
for meaningful participation while the process is happening.  Often the
process is complete before they are aware of the problem.

But all that I've said is also true of many other interest groups in the
agriculture, water, and environment arenas.

James C. Bach