From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:42:14 -0700
Dee Lusby wrote:

> Hi all
>

> This is why various treatments of never ending dopes of
> chemicals, drugs, acids, essential oils, FGMO will never
> work over the long haul, for Nature compensates. There is
> no way for man to slaughter this particular beast of mites,
> the bees have to take care of the problem for the most
> part.
> Man must stop all encompassing macro management and learn
> to micro manage.

 Hi Dee and Yoon;
  This is a wonderful mind set.. Macro Management will not work. There
are too many variables to deal with  if we are
just trying to kill the mite.That was our first mistake, pour in the
chemicals and all is well. Now we have more tools and knowledge about
how the bee and mite work in a natural setting. Some bees clean the
mites out and thats a fact. They may even do it in different ways.
 So lets go to micro management and pay attention to what is going on in
each hive. It takes time and beekeeping of the past is gone. We have to
shift with the times and not stay in the past. This list provides a lot
of ideas. Some will work and some will not. Its not a one answer
problem. It is more of a shift to doing things that we did not do in the
past. Smaller cells may be part of it , but not the complete answer. We
need Honeybee genetics to be using the tools of 2002.  That will help us
move forward a lot faster.  We will not come up with one bee for all
areas and seasons. Each beekeeper will have to keep a close eye on what
is going on in behavior of  his or her bees. That takes time and
dedication. We will need feedback to keep the progress going. We can
debate many things on the list. Its good for ideas. We need people like
Dee and Ed , doing the job.
We need people like Allen to get the story in Bee Culture. There are
many on this list from around the world,  that are doing
great things to help us move foreword.
 Everyone keep up the good work. Our job is to understand nature and not
try to beat it. We need the researchers to keep going for a higher level
of understanding. Beekeepers need to take the time to observe the finer
points of what is going on in a beehive. It all takes time and live with
that fact. Don't push for a quick fix , that will never happen. Nature
is too complex
for our minds to comprehend the complete picture.
We are working in a gray area and it will always be gray.
Very Best Regards To All
Roy Nettlebeck
Enjoy and Learn each day for you do not get a second chance at that day.