From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 05:05:54 EST
It would be a pity in my view if New Zealand effectively re-stocked with a
limited gene pool that happens to fit the needs of the moment.  I  understand
that there are pockets of Amm to be found that can trace their  ancestry back
to the original imports from the UK in the 1830s before the UK  gene pool
became contaminated with Aml and others.  They seem to do well  where local
conditions suit their talents.

I have not (yet) been there but gather that NZ, a collection of islands
stretching from the tropics down towards the Antarctic, has an enormous range of
climatic conditions for bees to cope with.  If follows that they would do
better with a large range of honeybee genotypes to allow Darwin to select those
that do best in each locality.  With climate change accelerating,  flexibility
should be the watchword.  Varroa isn't the only problem on  their horizon.

Chris