From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 08:39:10 -0400
>I leave the entrances WIDE OPEN, and jack the outer cover up about 1/2"
>with sticks laid across the inner cover rim.  This allows air movement up
>under the outer cover, and across the inner cover, with bee-escape hole
>open.
>
>Dry bees with lots of ventilation and plenty of food can  keep themselves
>warm enough.  Soggy bees will die.  That's why packing them up too much can
>have detrimental effects.  Please note the following illustration:

I agree for the most part with what you are saying Joel.  I had sixteen
hives with wide open entrances two winters ago (lost one, same percentage as
other hives), last year I had twenty five (lost none, EXTREMELY sheltered
location), so far this year I have no entrance reducers in about 125 of the
stronger colonies, but I think I will reduce more than half of them before
the broodless period (in Canada, don't know if southern bees have a
broodless period) ends. (Even though the results have been good, I still
feel guilty about leaving them open; its COLD out there).

I have had numerous hives winter with the rabbet joint where the frames sit
broken off and no problem.  I think for this to work the hives have to be
really well protected from the wind.  Mine are placed right in the woods
open to very small fields only directly to the south.

However I believe that insulation on the top is important.  For one thing it
prevents condensation dripping.  The system that Allen and Eric are trying
sounds pretty good.  I use top tray feeders with shavings/sawdust.

I also don't know whether smaller colonies could overwinter without being
protected more.  They don't have big enough cluster to provide much
insulation, and they don't need as much ventilation because they are
producing much less moisture.  Mine all have reducers in anyway, or they
would have been robbed to death.

This debate over ventilation/packing sure has been going on for a long time.
It is discussed as an "old debate" in the Hive and Honeybee 1962 edition.

I think the gals have the right idea anyway.  Cuddling close to your friends
and your honey is a dandy way to keep warm.